Sunday 16 May 2010

Reduce Reuse Recycle

Wonderful day of thrifting in the charity shops of South Woodford and Walthamstow yesterday. The Boy had the "quakening" good'n'proper and his sixth sense for junk and treasure was proven, accurate as ever.



One charming Hornsea Pottery "Bronte" pattern tea caddy: I am leaning more and more towards 70s retro kitchenware, perhaps because they're so satisfyingly chunky and the glaze so thick and opaque? I found this for sale online for £15 so I reckon £1 is a bargain ... don't worry, just justifying it to myself!


A Rolf Harris record: just look at the shirt Rolf is wearing, is that Liberty? Very stylish. And the blueprint style drawing of the Stylophone is fantastic, what a wonderous futuristic piece of technology!


A set of stencils like you had at Primary School: I like the speech bubble, and the almost-serif font of the numbers in the blue one.

And I've saved the best for last:


Are they schoolboys or sailors? I love that each has an assigned spice and an individual facial expression. Not sure what I'm going to with them...

I love the thought that thrifting means bestowing a new lease of life on things, rescuing items with history from languishing unloved and unwanted as unconsidered trifles - almost as if they got lost on their life journeys and strayed in to a cul-de-sac. Too whimsical? Well, it is raining today so I reserve the right to wistfulness and whimsy.  I relish giving them back their "belonging" status.

We stopped to re-fuel too, of course. Coffee and excellent Portugese custard tarts at The Windmill.


Plenty of "reuse" and "recycle" - but sadly not so much "reduce" as we collect more clutter than we get rid of! I like to think of it as a conscious design ethic, "eclectic shabby chic" or some such. Keep an eye out for this new design movement in the lifestyle mags, and remember you saw it here first!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin