Monday 2 March 2009

Mourning Tony Hart


Lovely story today about a flashmob tribute to the recently deceased art guru Tony Hart.

200+ plasticine pastiches of Hart’s most famous creation, Morph, all along the South Bank outside Tate Modern. BBC News reports Hart’s daughter as "completely bowled over" by the gesture.

And what an interesting measure of the impact this one man had on the creative culture psyche of a generation … certainly, I get a flood of nostalgia when I hear the smooth lounge stylings of ‘the gallery’ theme from Hartbeat. To me the best thing about Hart was the enthusiasm for the act of artistic creation, no matter who the artist was or how talented. And he wore a cravat.

Something I didn’t know – thanks Wikipedia – was that he created the original design for the Blue Peter badge. So basically responsible for most of the totems of my childhood then!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin